Military Education Credit


The University of Michigan – Ann Arbor is conservative in awarding credit for learning experiences at military schools. In order for credit to be granted, the material covered in the school must be like the material taught in a course at University of Michigan- Ann Arbor. The amount and level of credit given is determined by the faculty in the appropriate University department. No credit is awarded for schools that are specific to military activities or for Military Occupational Specialty (MOS).The Defense Language Institute (DLI) in Presidio of Monterey, California, is regionally accredited at the higher education level. Courses completed at this institution are evaluated in the same way as courses from other colleges or universities. You must have an official DLI transcript sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions when you apply.

College of Literature, Science and the Arts
The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) and the College of Engineering do not grant credit toward graduation for any courses offered through the Officer Education Program except for those courses which are cross-listed in other academic units (effective September 1, 1971 for LSA) or courses that have a University Course cross-listing. For LSA, these latter courses count as non-LSA course work if the cross-listed offering falls outside LSA academic departments or programs.

College of Engineering
The College of Engineering’s acceptance of cross-listed course work can vary depending on the engineering degree program and specific elements relative to the respective degree.

American Council on Education Transfer Guide  A Transfer Guide:  Understanding Your Military Transcript and ACE Credit Reccomendations A great great guide for you to use ans you start to think about trying to transfer your military classes to U-M credits.

ACE Webpage 



Point of Contact
Undergraduate Admissions -