Undergraduate Students

The University of Michigan welcomes veterans as undergraduate freshman and transfer applicants.


Application Checklists:

These application checklists include important information and links that will help you apply to the University of Michigan:

See how the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor could be the right place for you »

  • Look at our nearly 250 undergraduate degree programs  located in our 13 schools and colleges. Be sure to go to the website for the school or college you are looking at – they may have additional requirements for admission and even different application procedures.
  • Do you have credits from a post-secondary institution that you earned after high school, which you’d like to transfer to U-M? Then you are considered an undergraduate transfer student. Read about applying as a transfer student here >>


An “undergraduate freshman student” is defined as any student who has NOT earned any transferable credits from a post-secondary institution. If you want to apply to U-M as a freshman, please contact program director Philip Larson or at 734-764-6413 for more information.

We would highly suggest that if you have been out of high school for more than two years you consider taking some college level classes. Preferably classes would be taught in a classroom at a community college, public university, or regionally accredited school. Some military training such as the Defense Language institute and Military Academies would be acceptable as well. Most of our students who have served in the military or who are now serving took college-level classes before they applied to UM.


The majority of our U-M veterans apply as transfer students. A “transfer applicant” is defined as any student who has attended any institution of higher education after high school graduation on any basis for any period of time. UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint students are considered new transfer students.

Transfer admission is specific to one of the 13 undergraduate schools or colleges. So before you apply, you must first decide which school or college is right for you.

Some schools/colleges has unique deadlines and requirements for admission and policies for transfer credit.
The transfer student section of the Admissions website has more important information about applying to U-M as a transfer.

Explore Your Options
Apply to Michigan
Resources and Contacts

Phil LarsonQuestions?
VMSP program director Philip Larson or call 734-764-6413