Many student veterans are older than the traditional college student, and some come to campus with spouses, children, or other dependents. The University of Michigan recognizes the sacrifice and service to country that those military families have shouldered, and offers a number of resources available to help support them.

Be sure to also check our Student Services webpage for information on healthcare resources.


The Center for the Education of Women+ helps all people find employment and get settled in the Ann Arbor community. Career resources include a library, individual counseling, and information on financial aid and scholarships. Contact CEW for more information, or visit their offices at 330 E. Liberty. Hours are Monday 8 a.m.-7 p.m., Tuesday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

The U-M also offers resources for students who have children.
A child care subsidy may also be available from the Office of Financial Aid.

Education Benefits

Some veterans education benefits may transfer or be available to the children or dependents of veterans if not used by the veteran him/herself. Please see the VA website or the VA Certifying Official in the Office of the Registrar for eligibility information.

Childcare & Education

At the University of Michigan, we understand that students who are serving in the military or students who have separated from the military may have childcare and children’s educational concerns as they move to Ann Arbor and U-M. We hope you find these links useful.

Childcare: The U-M offers several options for childcare. Read more about them on the Early Childhood Education and Care website. There are also numerous childcare options in the city of Ann Arbor. The Ann Arbor Observer’s website lists them by full-time and part-time options.

Education: Ann Arbor is well known for its high-quality public schools. Read about our schools, magnet programs, academics, and more, on the Ann Arbor Public Schools website. Our town also boasts many excellent private schools. See a list on the Ann Arbor Observer’s private schools webpage.