Even if you are using your VA benefits to pay for your education, we highly encourage you to apply for and fill out all financial aid paperwork. Federal aid is not connected with your VA benefits and can be used for other college expenses beyond tuition.

Things You Can Do

  1. Start at the Financial Aid website.
  2. Check out the Veterans & Military page on the university’s financial aid website.
  3. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  4. Fill out the CSS Profile. U-M CSS Code is 1839.
  5. Once admitted go to the my scholarship profile and apply for all scholarships you are eligible for.
  6. Contact your academic unit’s financial aid office for specific scholarships by academic unit.
  7. Apply for Transfer Student Scholarships, which includes a Child Care Subsidy Program.
  8. Learn more about the Go Blue Guarantee.
  9. Look for Military-Connected Student Scholarships.
  10. Look up State of Michigan scholarships.
  11. Find private scholarships.


If you have questions or need help email finaid.vets@umich.edu.

If you are a graduate student or professional student, you need to talk with you specific school’s financial aid counselor.